Fender and Roland (Boss) have joined forces to integrate Roland’s history of guitar synthesis into the legendary Fender Stratocaster guitar to bring two new Stratocaster models built around Roland’s COSM modelling experience.
Basic Model – Fender Roland G-5 Stratocaster
In addition to the usual range of Fender Strat’ tones and capability, the G-5 uses a fourth Roland pick-up at the bridge. This pick up powers Roland’s COSM technology to deliver a range of electric and acoustic guitar tones and modelled pick ups at the turn of dial – no additional hardware is required – everything is built into the guitar. The guitar is available in two colourways/designs: black with maple neck or Sunbust and rosewood neck. The tonal versatility extends into alternate tunings – you can change your guitar tuning at the touch of a dial – here are the core options on the G-5 Stratocaster.
Steel String Acoustic Guitar
Nylon String Acoustic guitar
Vintage Humbucker tones
Authentic Telecaster bridge and neck tones
Wide range tele bridge & neck pick up
Bright extended range bridge & neck humbucker
Big box jazz guitar
12 String tuning
Advanced Model – Fender Roland GC-1 • GK-Ready Stratocaster
If you are really looking for an advanced Guitar Synthesis controller then the GC-1 delivers all the features of the above basic model and combines the full functionality of Rolands GK-3 pick-up, again, in a Fender Strat guitar, plus a 13 pin connector to drive sophisicated synthesizer hardware such as the Roland GR-55, VG-99.
The Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth
The Roland GR-55 is a revolution in guitar synthesis boasting the fastest and most accurate pitch-detection technologywith a triple-core generator producing a world-class array of virtual guitars, basses, amps, and synth voices, to create radical and innovative tones, textures and sounds. The GR-55’s huge library of instantaneous, ready-to-use sounds encompass pop, rock, fusion and more – the limit really is your imagination. Check out the video below.
- - A revolutionary fusion of guitar synthesis and powerful COSM guitar modeling
- - Up to four sound sources at a time: two PCM synth tones, plus COSM guitar modeling and normal guitar input
- - Easy to use and easy to play with hundreds of great, ready-to-use sounds for rock or pop guitarists
- - Advanced Roland technology provides superb sound quality and lightning-fast processing
- - Over 900 of Roland’s latest fully editable PCM sounds, including pianos, organs, strings, vintage synths, and much more
- - COSM guitar and amp modeling
- - Two types of multi-effects engines, plus global reverb, chorus, and delay effects, and an onboard looper
- - Built-in USB audio player with foot control
The Roland VG-99
If the GR-55 isn’t quite hot enough for you then the Roland VG-99 will deliver the radical, next-level of expression and guitar synthesis to take your music and your guitar playing to the next level. 3 powerful processors together with highly expressive performance controls such as a Ribbon Controller and a D BEAM, mean that this remarkable synthesizer / instrument redefines guitar-modeling and performance technology. Again, the VG-99 delivers a huge range of COSM-modeled guitars and amplifiers including new electric, acoustic and bass guitar models, a new GR-300 synth wave, and much more. It models two signal paths simultaneously: dual processing allows you to play two different guitar sounds simultaneously.
Both modeled guitar and amp paths can be active simultaneously, or dynamically switched & blended. You can control the switching foot controllers, buttons or knobs on the unit, or even according to the dynamics of your picking and playing. The level of parameter edit detail on the VG-99 is astounding – each string has it’s own midi-channel – each modeled guitar or sound can be assigned to individual guitar-strings.
- - Dual modeling engines allow guitar and amp models to be dynamically switched, layered and combined.
- - New COSM electric, acoustic and even bass guitar models, and new synth waves such as the famous GR-300
- - Guitar to MIDI converter for direct connection to keyboards, sound modules, soft synths, computers, and other MID compatible devices.
- - Supports USB audio and MIDI for easy digital recording and sequencing.
- - Dual GT-Pro-class effects processor enables unequalled flexible tone creation.
- - Advanced performance controls, including D BEAM, V-LINK, and Ribbon Controller take guitar performance to a whole new level.
- - Simple and intuitive knob based interface and new design support live performance.
- - Graphical Editor software included to support sophisticated sound making.
- - Versatile I/O including USB, S/PDIF, XLR provide pro connections for virtually every type of music production and performance on stage to professional studio recording
The VG-99 can produce custom tunings — anything the player desires on any virtual guitar. A virtual Les Paul ® , for example, could be tuned down four or five steps for a heavy sound, while a nylon string could be tuned as a 12-string, and also tuned down four or five steps at the same time. Open and drop tunings are also supported as well as user defined custom tunings and can be applied to any COSM guitar, so the player can switch instantly between tuning setups without physically switching guitars or having to manually retune.
Direct MIDI connection:
Now Roland delivers the most-requested new features in the VG-99, including an onboard guitar-to-MIDI converter for direct connection to keyboards, sound modules, soft synths, etc. Audio output via USB or S/PDIF digital out, and optional RAD-99 rack mount adaptor further enhance your music production environment. Built in stereo XLR and 1/4” outputs are ideal for live stage performances and touring. The striking new on-screen editor makes programming the VG-99 easy.
Watch the series of videos below from Roland which detail the VG-99 capabilities:
You can find out more about Roland’s guitar synthesis technology here, on their V-Guitar website.